Chocolate berry rolls with chia jam
Recipe by Kristin Paterson, 2023 Otto’s Ottawa Power Crew member
The chia seeds in the jam filling of these rolls provide anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which means they help to pack these delicious chocolate rolls with a nutritious punch!
- 2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 + 3/4 cups Flour*
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder**
- dash of sea salt
- 2 tbs oil
- Mini chocolate chips to taste
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen berries
- 3 tbs chia seeds
Instructions for chocolate berry rolls
- Mix dry yeast and warm water in a small bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Separately large bowl mix flour, protein powder, oil and salt.
- Add water/yeast mixture to the flour, salt and oil.
- Mix & knead with hands for 5-10 minutes, the more kneading the better!
- Form the dough into a ball. Pour approximately 1 tbsp of oil into the bottom of a bowl, use fingers to spread over the entire surface of the dough and bowl and put dough into the bowl.
- Cover dough and leave in a warm spot to rise for 1-2 hrs.
- Remove the dough from the bowl.
- Place dough on a floured surface and roll into a large rectangle.
- Spread chia jam (instructions below) over the entire rectangle of dough and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Roll into a log shape and slice 1.5-2 inch rolls.
- Place onto a lined baking pan and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.
Instructions for chia jam
- Simmer or microwave 2 cups of fresh or frozen berries until soft. (Frozen mixed berries is Kristin’s favourite).
- Add 3 tbs chia seeds, mix and let sit for 5 minutes. If necessary, add 1/2 tsp chia seeds at a time until you get the desired consistency
*Kristin’s favourite flour to use is Spelt. But white, whole wheat or a combo would work perfectly!
**If protein powder is not your thing, you can substitute with 1/4 cup more flour.
Kristin is part of Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend’s Otto’s Ottawa Power Crew! This amazing group shares helpful training tips and excitement about their upcoming events with Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend participants. Not registered? Register now!