Chocolate berry rolls with chia jam
The chia seeds in the jam filling of these rolls provide anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which means they help to pack these delicious chocolate rolls with a nutritious punch!
- 2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 + 3/4 cups Flour*
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder**
- dash of sea salt
- 2 tbs oil
- Mini chocolate chips to taste
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen berries
- 3 tbs chia seeds
Instructions for chocolate berry rolls
- Mix dry yeast and warm water in a small bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Separately large bowl mix flour, protein powder, oil and salt.
- Add water/yeast mixture to the flour, salt and oil.
- Mix & knead with hands for 5-10 minutes, the more kneading the better!
- Form the dough into a ball. Pour approximately 1 tbsp of oil into the bottom of a bowl, use fingers to spread over the entire surface of the dough and bowl and put dough into the bowl.
- Cover dough and leave in a warm spot to rise for 1-2 hrs.
- Remove the dough from the bowl.
- Place dough on a floured surface and roll into a large rectangle.
- Spread chia jam (instructions below) over the entire rectangle of dough and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Roll into a log shape and slice 1.5-2 inch rolls.
- Place onto a lined baking pan and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.
Instructions for chia jam
- Simmer or microwave 2 cups of fresh or frozen berries until soft. (Frozen mixed berries is Kristin’s favourite).
- Add 3 tbs chia seeds, mix and let sit for 5 minutes. If necessary, add 1/2 tsp chia seeds at a time until you get the desired consistency
*Kristin’s favourite flour to use is Spelt. But white, whole wheat or a combo would work perfectly!
**If protein powder is not your thing, you can substitute with 1/4 cup more flour.