Warm Up and Boost Your Immune System: Sweet Potato Black Bean Chilli
By Kathy Smart
Who doesn’t love sweet potatoes? They are sweet, filling and oh so good for you! Plus, they have some amazing nutrients that can help your immune system.
Sweet potatoes are naturally high in beta carotene which makes this is a wonderful recipe to help boost the immune system just in time for cold and flu season. It will also keep you warm on those cool fall days and being high in protein it provides the energy you need to recover after a good workout.
The secret ingredient in this chili? It is cocoa powder. There is a subtle bass note in this recipe with a hint of earthiness and unique flavour. It’s genius really!
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon each of chili powder, ground cumin and cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa (I prefer the hot)
- 1 398 ml organic non GMO black beans, rinsed
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- Place the olive oil and diced onion in a pot and sauté.
- Add the sweet potato and all of the spices and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil on medium heat and then lower to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Serve the chili with fresh cilantro, avocado, a squeeze of fresh lime and tortilla chips.
- Wheat and Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free
- Nut Free
- High in Fibre
- Low Glycemic
- No Added Refined Sugars
Kathy Smart, Canadian Holistic Nutritionist of the Year for Canada, Best Selling Author and Dr. Oz Guest Shows us how to snack… smart!