Revised race start times due to weekend weather conditions
Thank you for your patience as we have finalized our plans to help you have a positive and safe experience despite the unusually hot weather predicted for today and tomorrow.
We have been in ongoing discussions with our medical team, our logistics team, and our partners at the city and police to make sure that we can put on a safe event.
Following these discussions, we are pleased to announce that we are going to proceed with all our races with some modifications to the Ottawa 10K and Scotiabank Ottawa Half Marathon start times.
RACE TIME CHANGES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Saturday, May 28, 2016:
- 2K – 3:00 p.m.: (no change)
- 5K – 4:00 p.m.: (no change)
- 10K – 7:00 p.m. (original time was 6:30 p.m.)
Sunday, May 29, 2016:
- Marathon – 7:00 a.m. (no change)
- Kids Marathon – 8:00 a.m.: (no change)
- *Half Marathon – 8:15 a.m. (original time was 9:00 a.m.)
*For the Half Marathon event, runners are strongly urged to start at the earlier time. Race officials will honour the 9:00 a.m. start time for runners who are unaware of the change in race time.
We will be watching all medical issues closely and making decisions on whether to stop the races based on volumes in our medical operations. Please pay close attention to the weather warning flags along the course. If the flags turn black, be prepared to stop.
We ask you to please do your part so that everyone can reach the finish line with a smile and great memories to take home. We ask you to consider the following:
- Hot temperatures are not the time to try for a personal best. Please modify expectations for performance and slow your pace before signs of overheating.
- If you do not feel prepared to run in the heat, please do not run.
- If you do run, be ready to stop. It is better to not finish than to finish in the medical tent.
- Be sure to hydrate. Take one cup to drink and one cup to pour over your heat to stay cool.
- Read the following two articles by our medical director on the dangers of overheating and the importance of hydration.