High Energy Maca Balls
Recipe by Kathy Smart
The combination of cinnamon, coconut and pumpkin seeds not only tastes amazing but makes this a perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up or post-workout re-energizer!
What is Maca?
Maca is a traditional staple superfood/food/herb from the harsh cold climates of the high Andes in Peru which has been used for thousands of years.
Maca invigorates the body, rejuvenates the endocrine system, benefits the thyroid the sexual organs and the adrenals, supports brain health and good neurochemistry, and helps fight feelings of depression– in short, it is one of the most incredible foods on the planet.
You can find maca at your local health food store.
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats regular or quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup each of raw pumpkin seeds and golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons each of cinnamon and vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons each of ground Maca and unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup each of almond butter and pure honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup of ground flax seeds and shredded unsweetened coconut
Makes 24 1-inch balls
- Combine all dry ingredients except ground flax seeds and coconut.
- Spread out flaxseeds and coconut on a plate.
- Mix all the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients thoroughly until well combined.
- Moisten hands, and roll dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls into ground flaxseeds or coconut and place in freezer 20 minutes to set, then serve or store in the fridge.
Total Fat: 3.6g
Easy to Make
High in Fibre Low Glycemic
No Added Refined Sugars
Vegetarian/Vegan (if using maple syrup)
Kathy Smart, Canadian Holistic Nutritionist of the Year for Canada, Best Selling Author and Dr. Oz Guest Shows us how to snack… smart!