Fall Soup Recipe: Sweet Pear and Butternut Squash Soup
With daylight savings here and cooler temperatures looming, sitting down to a warm and nutritious bowl of soup can be an excellent way to warm up and boost your immune system. With squash in season, soup is a delicious way you can prepare these versatile vegetables for dinner or lunch.
If you are training for Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend (or thinking about registering!) you are going to need the right nutrients to fuel your run. Kathy Smart’s Sweet Pear and Butternut Squash Soup recipe is perfect for the fall season because it is both warm and filling as well as high in fibre. It’s a perfect recipe for any diet too, as it is wheat and gluten free, dairy free, egg free and vegan!
What does Kathy Smart love about this recipe? “This smooth and creamy soup bursts with flavour, which is intensified by the addition of white wine. Like I always say, eat veggies like it’s your job!”
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup white wine (optional)
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Put the ginger, cinnamon stick, butternut squash and sweet potato in a soup pot. Add 6 cups of vegetable stock and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer.
- While the vegetables are simmering, heat olive oil in a pan and cook the onions until they are golden brown. Add white wine and pears to the browned onions and cook for 5 minutes until the wine is reduced and then add this mixture to the soup pot.
- Cook squash and sweet potatoes mixture for 30 minutes and then add the coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or blender. If using blender, allow the soup to cool first.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro.
Wheat and Gluten Free • Dairy Free • Egg Free • Nut Free • Vegetarian • Vegan • High in Fibre • Low Glycemic • No Added Refined Sugars
Kathy Smart, HTC, PTS, RNC, RNCP, FIS, FKI, RSNA: With over 20 years experience in the health and wellness sectors, Kathy Smart has achieved many personal goals along with helping thousands to live their healthiest self. She has been named Canadian Holistic Nutritionist of the Year for Canada and is a five-time best selling author. She is the founder of Live The Smart Way TM as well as founder of the Live the Smart Way Expo TM.