Ottawa Kids Marathon
Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 8:00AM
In 2008, the Ottawa Race Weekend created a running event for children in grades 3 - 8 which was known as the Ottawa Kids Marathon.
The Ottawa Kids Marathon event was created to promote fitness amongst today’s youth and generate interest in the sport of running. It is designed for children in Grades 3 – 8. Children are encouraged to perform a half hour of exercise on a regular basis and each half hour of exercise is equivalent to one km to complete a total of 41km prior to race day. Your child can participate in numerous types of exercise such as running, soccer, cross country skiing, basketball or hockey which will be recorded as half hour of exercise.
A tracker sheet, which logs your exercise, can then be filled in. Parents or teachers should initial the Tracker Sheet as the student completes the training. Once your child completes the required 41 km he/she will give the tracker sheet to their teacher. If your child has registered individually, he/she can drop off the tracker sheet at Race Kit pickup at the Health and Fitness Expo.
The race kits include a T-shirt, race bib and a souvenir timing chip. The timing chip is to be worn on your shoe and the race bib is to be pinned to your shirt. On Sunday May 25, 2014 at 8 a.m., the children will then finish the last 1.195 km at the Ottawa Kids Marathon.
Click here to register
Note: If you use the cheque option please make the cheque out to "NCM.inc" and send the cheque to:
5450 Canotek Road, Unit 45
Ottawa, ON Canada
You will also need to pick up your race kits at our Health and Fitness Expo.
- Ensure parental approval has been received before participation can begin.
- Find a safe place to run or participate in your chosen activity. Record your distance in your tracker sheet (on-line or paper).
- Complete the 41 km exercise program.
- Accompany your runner to the Ottawa Race Weekend on Sunday May 25, 2014 and watch them complete the last 1.195 km of their marathon and finish down the same route the Ottawa Marathon runners will cover shortly thereafter. Note: Parents may accompany runners to the start line, but only participants are permitted on the course.
Race Day Info
- Race Kits include a race bib, timing chip and event T-shirt and must be picked up at the Health and Fitness Expo. The Race Bib will have a tear off portion with the corresponding bib number printed on it. Parents must TEAR OFF and KEEP the bottom portion of the bib to collect their runner from confederation park after the race. The top portion of the bib must be pinned to your runner’s shirt.
- The Ottawa Kids Marathon start line is located on Elgin Street at Laurier Ave. W. by Ottawa City Hall, at 8 a.m. This is the same start as the Ottawa Marathon race.
- Only runners, race officials and medical support staff are permitted on the route. Parents are not permitted on the course.
- Kids will receive their medal after they cross the finish line. They will be required to proceed through the secure finishers chute to the recovery area.
- A parent can use the bottom portion of their runner’s bib as an access pass to Confederation Park to collect your runner. Only one parent per child may go into the secure area with that pass.
Click here to download the course map
- Start near the corner of Laurier& Elgin; Head south on Elgin and continue to Cooper;
- Left on Cooper down to the end and veer onto Somerset West;
- Turn left onto Somerset and continue to Queen Elizabeth.
- Turn left on Queen Elizabeth and down to the finish;