Charting the growth of Race Weekend since 1997
Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend has experienced explosive growth in the 17 race seasons since Jim
Robinson took the helm as Race Director and President in 1996 to organize the 1997 event.
- 1997: About 4,400 runners participated in the race Weekend. In 2012, there were approximately
42,600 participants in the race weekend.
- 2004: Kids Marathon debuts.
- 2000: Since 2000, Ottawa Race Weekend registration has grown by 350%.
- The Ottawa Marathon is only one of two IAAF silver labeled marathons in Canada.
- The 10K race is the only Canadian 10K race silver labeled by the IAAF.
- The Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend is the largest multi-distance race event in Canada and has
the largest marathon registration numbers in Canada.
Driver of economic growth for Ottawa:
- In 2012, Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend generated about $28 million into the economy.
- Race Weekend participants book about 12,000 rooms in Ottawa/Gatineau hotels.
Building a world class race destination
Jim Robinson’s energy and vision has transformed Ottawa Race Weekend from a local race event to a
world-class race destination. His credits include:
- Developing a strong committed race committee to help with making this the best organized event
in our country.
- Developing a race course that runs through the heart of Ottawa and includes the many vibrant
communities of Ottawa.
- Building a strong partnership with the NCC and the City of Ottawa
- Building an annual Expo Travel plan that includes annual visits to race expos throughout North
America and Europe to attract runners from all over the world to Ottawa.
- Establishing a race expo for Ottawa Race Weekend. The expo consistently sells out every year
and is one of the largest of its kind in Canada.