Scotiabank Ottawa Kids Marathon in support of CHEO
Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 8:00AM
On May 25th, 2014 as many as 2000 children between grades 3 and 8 will take part in the Scotiabank Ottawa Kids Marathon in support of CHEO, one of the six events that make up the Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend.
The Scotiabank Ottawa Kids Marathon is a chance for children to take part in the excitement of the Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend, the largest multi-race running event in Canada.
It’s also a great opportunity to start a tradition of regular physical activity that is fun, exciting, rewarding and great for self-confidence. And, new this year, participants have a chance to use their running to raise money for the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO). It’s a great example of kids helping kids! Visit CHEO’s fundraising page.
How does it work?
In the Scotiabank Ottawa Kids Marathon, participants accumulate kilometres by taking part in physical activities (running, soccer, cross country skiing, basketball, hockey, etc.) in the weeks leading up to race day. For every half hour of activity, one kilometre is marked down on a tracker sheet (included in the information package).
It’s fun to watch the kilometres add up, but what’s most exciting is the race day itself where our young marathoners line up on the start line to run the last 1 km of their marathon! Click here to register.
For more information, you can download the Scotiabank Ottawa Kids Marathon Information Package, which includes the Tracker Sheet.
Click here to register
Note: If you use the cheque option please make the cheque out to "NCM.inc" and send the cheque to:
5450 Canotek Road, Unit 45
Ottawa, ON Canada
You will also need to pick up your race kits at our Health and Fitness Expo.
- Ensure parental approval has been received before participation can begin.
- Find a safe place to run or participate in your chosen activity. Record your distance in your tracker sheet (on-line or paper).
- Complete the 41 km exercise program.
- Accompany your runner to the Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend on Sunday May 25, 2014 and watch them complete the last 1.195 km of their marathon and finish down the same route the Scotiabank Ottawa Marathon runners will cover shortly thereafter. Note: Parents may accompany runners to the start line, but only participants are permitted on the course.
Race Day Info
- Race Kits include a race bib, timing chip and event T-shirt and must be picked up at the Health and Fitness Expo. The Race Bib will have a tear off portion with the corresponding bib number printed on it. Parents must TEAR OFF and KEEP the bottom portion of the bib to collect their runner from confederation park after the race. The top portion of the bib must be pinned to your runner’s shirt.
- The Scotiabank Ottawa Kids Marathon start line is located on Elgin Street at Laurier Ave. W. by Ottawa City Hall, at 8 a.m. This is the same start as the Scotiabank Ottawa Marathon race.
- Only runners, race officials and medical support staff are permitted on the route. Parents are not permitted on the course.
- Kids will receive their medal after they cross the finish line. They will be required to proceed through the secure finishers chute to the recovery area.
- A parent can use the bottom portion of their runner’s bib as an access pass to Confederation Park to collect your runner. Only one parent per child may go into the secure area with that pass.
Click here to download the course map
- Start near the corner of Laurier& Elgin; Head south on Elgin and continue to Cooper;
- Left on Cooper down to the end and veer onto Somerset West;
- Turn left onto Somerset and continue to Queen Elizabeth.
- Turn left on Queen Elizabeth and down to the finish;