Team MitoCanada will be participating in Tamarack Homes Ottawa Race Weekend May 26th and 27th, 2012. We are recruiting runners and would love for you to join our team if you are running any distance (Kids Fun Run, 5k, 10k, Half Marathon or Full Marathon). Our focus on is on raising awareness, support and much needed resources for Mitochondrial Disease.
Mitochondrial Disease is estimated to affect 1 in 6000 people. It is the failure of the mitochondria – a part of every cell in our body – to produce energy for the cell. When mitochondria fail, less and less energy is converted in the cells. The cells may stop working or die. Depending on where the affected cells are, parts of the body may not function properly and many health problems can result. The symptoms of Mitochondrial Disease can range from mild to severe.
If you are interested in supporting Team MitoCanada Ottawa, please email Julie Drury at [email protected] or visit www.mitocanada.org/team to sign up for Team MitoCanada. Be sure to include in your message your interest in running at Ottawa Race Weekend.
Benefits of being part of the Team MitoCanada Ottawa include:
- Free MitoCanada technical running shirt.
- Incentive to get fit and participate in a world-class running event.
- The camaraderie among a team that is making a difference - supported at our blog www.mitocanada.org/team
Benefits to MitoCanada:
- Participating on Team MitoCanada will help to raise awareness about mitochondrial disease and MitoCanada by teaming up with a world-class event.
- Encourages participation by allowing registrants in any of the five running events to raise funds.
- Reduces costs associated with organizing a stand-alone fundraising event.
- Convenience and security of online fundraising through Artez Interactive at no cost. No transaction fees of any kind!
We have close to 100 runners so far with a goal 200 and to raise $30,000. Please pass the word to your running friends.
You can learn more about Team MitoCanada at www.mitocanada.org/team
“Running for those who can’t”