Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup!
By: Kathy Smart
This soup is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!
Delicate in flavours and warming to the stomach combining the BEST that this season of change has. Trust me. I’ve tried it!
Dairy Free – Gluten Free – Vegan (if using vegetable broth) – Decadent!
Why is this SMART???
- Squash – health benefits: Vitamin A and C – which helps in metabolic functioning and helps ward off chronic diseases. Ensure you always add healthy fat with any orange or yellow coloured vegetable to ensure your body absorbs ALL the benefits!
- Sweet Potatoes – Vitamin A , high in potassium ( great for a post run recovery) and fiber
- Apples – high in Vitamin C and dietary fiber to not only boost YOUR immune system, but help rid the body of toxins! Yeah!
- 2 cups of onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil if dairy intolerant
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of Garam Masala*
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 6 cups of butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups of sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups of apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 cups of water or vegetable or chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup of light coconut milk
- In a large stock pot, sauté the onions and butter until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the spices, squash, sweet potatoes, apples and cook a few minutes more.
- Add stock or water and coconut milk to the mixture.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the ingredients are soft and tender.
- Purée the ingredients with an immersion blender.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt or swirl of coconut milk.
*Garam Masala is a blend of Indian spices.
You can find this spice in health food stores, bulk food stores or Asian grocery stores.
This original recipe was created by Canadian Holistic Nutritionist of the Year Kathy Smart. Want to learn how to live a healthier, happier and kinder life? Attend Canada’s Premier Health and Wellness Tradeshow Back for It’s THIRD YEAR in Ottawa, Ontario! Get your ticket HERE!