Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies
~ with 1.5 cups of vegetables in it.
As runners in winter truly can be a challenge to power through a run in the cold. This is a perfect little snack pre or post workout- heck, it is even great for breakfast!
Chocolate for breakfast??? Why not!
Brownies with vegetables in them, Kath?!? Yep!
Some people may consider that sacrilege, but I think it’s a smart way to eat your veggies. If you are going to eat veggies, why not eat them delicious!
This recipe contains 1.5 cups of vegetables coming from the zucchini. Like I ALWAYS say… Eat Veggies Like It’s Your Job!
Makes 24 bite sized brownies
- 1/2 cup all natural almond butter/ sunflower seed butter( use sunflower seed butter if in a peanut free home) or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey or pure Canadian maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup large flake oats ( use gluten free oats if gluten intolerant or celiac)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
- Place oats in blender or food processor and process until finely ground (flour-like texture).
- In a large bowl cream together nut butter, applesauce, honey/maple syrup and vanilla until smooth
- Add in zucchini, cocoa powder, ground oats, baking soda, and sea salt and mix until combined. Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Saturated fat: 2g
Gluten and Wheat Free
Nut Free, if using sunflower seed butter
Vegan, if using maple syrup and dairy free chocolate chips
Love this recipe? So do I!!!
You can order holistic nutritionist of the year for Canada Kathy Smart’s Canadian Comfort food cookbook by emailing her at [email protected]
Best Selling Author, Canadian Holistic Nutritionist of the Year for Canada, TV Show Host, Chef, Nutritionist, North America’s Gluten- Free Expert, CEO of Live The Smart Way
Kathy Smart certainly lives up to her reputation as a triple threat in the health, wellness and fitness space. She is a registered holistic nutritionist (named the Canadian Holistic Nutritionist of the Year for 2016) and wrote the best-selling cookbook, Live The Smart Way™. Kathy is known as Canada’s Leading Nutrition Expert, is a popular speaker, health and fitness presenter, and the go-to media expert in all things health and wellness. Kathy is a Chatelaine Magazine recipe developer and has been a guest on the Dr. Oz Show, CTV News, Breakfast TV, Global News, The Social, CH Morning Live, Canada AM and more. In 2014, Kathy was named CTV’s Most Amazing Person and was also honored with an Ottawa Business Journal Top 40 Under 40 Business Achievement Award. www.LiveTheSmartWay.com